Sunday, 22 June 2008

Sunday June 22

What a terrific start to the day. An hour and half over breakfast. I've been on call today so haven't been able to leave the ship, not that it's stopped from doing stuff.

This morning I attended the service on one of the hospital wards. They have a team of local people who work on the ship often as translators who lead the worship. One of the patients played the drums. that with a shaker (made from a dry gourd) was all the music accompaniment we had but it was plenty. The preacher works on the ship too and is from the Faroe Islands. (pop 48,000)

The wards have low ceilings - limited by the height of the deck so it's interesting to see how they hang drips. there are no dripstands but plenty of hooks on the ceiling. The patients don't have curtains between their beds and the beds are pretty close to each other. Amazingly, there is a low incidence of infection. Obviously using good techniques.

One lemon drizzle cake was made this afternoon and a few scones as I needed to use up the butter. One group of young people got to eat the scones. While I was baking I had help from a 4 year old from Ghana with the washing up - he needed to be occupied. Cold water seemed safest.

I found a few useful photos on one of the drives on the ship's intranet so loaded the memory stick with them, but only after I had said goodbye to a couple of girls who left today. i've arranged to meet them in London for lunch next week!

This evening we had as African choir to sing and it was wonderful sound when the stuck to the African style. They are called Hallelujah and started their programme with the Hallelujah chorus from the Messiah. I think they need more practice.

There has been quite a bit of activity in the harbour today and the skill of the pilots and tugboats getting these ships into small docks is stunning, especially with all the wrecks around. Very relaxing to watch though. The crew are hoping that there is a container for the ship on the MAERSK ship that is docked close by...supplies for the shop and hospital and kit that was sent over a month ago to help muffle the noise of the ships engine. Just a bit late for me. They won't have it finished before the weekend...Oh well..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just caught up with your blog! Not only do you seem very busy but I am amazed at the cake-making! All sounds very yummy! Hopefully, not too fattening! The range of surgeries is interesting and it is so good that people have the opportunity to get to the ship. Enjoy your final week!

Margaret
x